David Bennett / __init__

Today I learned...

Django Projects and Mercurial Subrepositories

A while back, Steve Losh posted some excellent Django advice, in particular the part on working with third-party apps. I thought it sounded interesting but was concerned that it would be a hassle to maintain.

Once I finally tried it, it was quite liberating. Never again will I have to work around some issue with a package. Now I just fix it and move on.

It did take a bit of work, though, to figure out an approach that I was happy with. I usually use a pip requirements file to keep track of project dependencies and I wasn’t quite sure how to make it all work together.

One option is to use pip’s editable flag like so:

requirements.txt
1
-e hg+https://bitbucket.org/andrewgodwin/south@64fdcc52cd010e663b7a8b9ad592d4aa204807a2#egg=South-dev

What I didn’t like about that was having to constantly update my requirements.txt to change the revision. And, by default, pip installs editable packages into $VIRTUAL_ENV/src while I’d rather they be in a subdirectory of my project for easy access.

My first attempt at dealing with those issues was to fork every single package I was using, add a tag or branch for the revision my project was using and change the requirements.txt file to look like so:

requirements.txt
1
-e hg+https://bitbucket.org/dbinit/south@myproject#egg=South-dev

Then I would manually specify the source directory when installing, like so:

1
$ pip install --src=./src -r requirements.txt

The problems with this approach were that I was now maintaining forks of all these apps, it was just as tedious to be moving tags around as updating the revision hash, and now the requirements file wasn’t self-contained.

What I really wanted was to add all the apps as subrepositories to my project’s Mercurial repository. That way the revisions would be tracked automatically and no need for tags.

The hard part was getting pip to install these packages as editable without making a copy somewhere. It took some trial and error to get right… though I did finally figure it out (hint: don’t use file: or #egg):

requirements.txt
1
-e lib/south

So now, when I want to add an app to my project, I first clone it to the project’s lib subdirectory. Then I add the above entry to my requirements file and the following entry in .hgsub:

.hgsub
1
lib/south = https://bitbucket.org/andrewgodwin/south

Finally, I install the package into my virtualenv with:

1
$ pip install -r requirements.txt

You might also want to add the following to your project’s .hg/hgrc file to avoid automatically committing the subrepos:

hgrc
1
2
[ui]
commitsubrepos = False

Don’t forget that you can also include apps that are in git or svn.

Comments